I've been meaning to make a mixed compilation for ages of adult songs that kids would like. I'm not a big fan of kid-specific music (with the exception of Justine Clarke - Justine, if you're out there, I love you! I loved you in Look Both Ways and now I love you in Little Day Out!).
I was finally moved to action when earlier in the week Miss P insisted on listening to The Pushbike Song over and over in a loop until I thought my head might implode. It was time for The Compilation to happen.
Here it is!
1. Hakuna Matata (the Lion King movie soundtrack version)
2. I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door - Eddie Hodges (popularised in this house on Playschool)
3. Brand New Key - Melanie Safka (always loved this song)
4. The Pushbike Song - The Mixtures (if there's a catchier song, I don't know it)
5. Chug-a-lug - Roger Miller (I was tempted to include My Uncle Used to Love Me but...too weird)
6. The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens (an obvious choice)
7. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - Beatles (so many bouncy Beatles tunes)
8. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Dick Van Dyke (ok, a kid's song, but geez it's a good one!)
9. Lollipop - Chordettes (another favourite through the generations)
10. Surfin' Bird - The Trashmen (maybe not for everyone, but it got the thumbs up from Kim)
11. Lady Bird - Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood (I feel like a martini when I hear this one)
12. BBQ Party - Shonen Knife (Kawaii and grunge at the same time. Awesome!)
13. Somebody that I used to Know - Gotye feat. Kimbra (a melancholic rumination on a break-up...lyrics not exactly Playschool sanctioned but Miss P calls this 'The Painting Song' because of the video clip and it's one of her favourites so I had to include it)
14. The Sharing Song - Jack Johnson (love ya, Jack)
15. 1 2 3 4 - Feist (it's a song about counting, right?)
16. Beautiful Day - U2 (that one's for me)
17. Cameo Lover - Kimbra (we have a Kimbra obsession...I thought I'd have to wait for the tweens!)
18. The 3 R's - Jack Johnson (a song about recycling - what's not to like?)
19. Mr. Sandman - Chordettes (I always think of Back to the Future...that's probably just me)
20. Rainbow Connection - Tresspassers William (it's no Kermit, but it is a beautiful version)
21. Puff, the Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul & Mary (classic!)
This 'mix tape' has been on high rotation all week. I tell you what, car trips have suddenly become a lot more enjoyable for everyone!